The Story of H.U.G.S.
Helping Ugandans Grow Stronger (HUGS) is a publicly supported charitable organization seeking to improve the condition of children and their families in all areas of Uganda. Our focus is local women’s groups, schools, and health care.
Goals and Focus:
Our goal is to provide a better environment for the children of Uganda, where they can be educated and enjoy their childhood years in peace. It is our hope these children will grow into self-sustaining adults that make a positive contribution to their family, village, and country. These goals are accomplished through annual project trips where we collaborate with Ugandan-based non-governmental organizations (NGOs). We choose projects that are self-sustaining and that generate income to support the women and children of a given area.
Since the first visit to Uganda in 2002 so much has happened due to HUGS involvement:
- Property in the district of Rakai, of southern Uganda, has grown from vacant bush land to a safe haven for children.
- Building projects on this property include three school buildings, a church, director's home, kitchen, chicken coop, numerous latrines, a guesthouse, and three group homes - one for boys, one for girls, and one for the younger children.
- Four successful galas have been held in the San Diego area.
- Women’s groups in southern and western Uganda have gained momentum in
their efforts to become independent and strong in caring for their families.
- Five successful trips have completed building projects including a church,
fencing property, providing a playground, and building a bakery for a
- Because of board member's contacts, a borehole or water pump was provided
in southern Uganda.
- Money was raised to build a bakery for the Maziba women's group in southwest Uganda.
- A roof was added a community center/church in the Village of Hope in western Uganda.
- Friendships and partnerships have been formed with numerous Ugandans.